09 10

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Hate Comments on Videos

Ok, so we've all been on the internet and stumbled across an opinion that we did not agree with. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and opinions are like pizza. But in this case, the difference between your opinion and pizza is I asked for pizza. There are always those people who think they're just so cute by being rude and offensive over the internet, or even in real life.

Take for example, YouTube. I scroll through the comments whenever watching a video, because often times people have really funny things to say. But this is one of those times when I wish I could just kick people off the internet. I was watching a video by Blood on the Dance Floor, specifically Rise & Shine. Well, I get bored as usual and proceed to scroll through the comments, and this is where things take a turn for the ugly.


On the video, someone thinks that it'd be funny to write (I edited this comment, due to vulgar language) "You guys are awful. Anyone who listens to you deserves to get bullied."
Uh, excuse me? No, just no. No one deserves to get bullied. It doesn't matter if your favorite band is Blood on the Dance Floor, or listening to traditional hymns sung by hobos. Bullying is a serious topic that can have some very devastating consequences.

You have just as much of a right to enjoy Blood on the Dance Floor without being put down for it as anyone who listens to Pearl Jam, the Beatles, or even Katy Perry. Words are like bullets, and they hurt when used in a degrading way. 

What gives you the right to say that a band sucks or lacks talent? Yes, you may not like that band, and that's absolutely fine. But they worked hard to be where they currently are, and no matter how much you hate their music, that band saved someone else's life. Yes, it may seem shocking, that such an "awful" band could ever save someone's life, but it's true. And your taste in music isn't perfect either. I guarantee someone out there thinks the music you listen to sucks just as much as whatever band you're currently bashing on. I mean, I'm not a huge fan of One Direction or Justin Bieber, but I'm not going to go bash on their music simply because I don't like them. I mean, I'm not famous ALL OVER THE WORLD, and I'm not rolling in piles of money.

So think before you speak, or in this case, type. Words can have some seriously devastating consequences when not used correctly. So think about that before you decide to call Taylor Swift a (insert offensive and distasteful word here), Niall Horan ugly, or Mick Jagger untalented. They worked just as hard as you, and they are people.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post! Totally agree! You have the makings of a great blogger!

    ReplyDelete