09 10

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Top 15 Best Movies for Teenagers

The Entertainment business is wide spread and very successful. It appears that every time I blink, a new film is being made, an actress is being praised, or a film is winning an Emmy. There are thousands upon thousands of movies, probably millions by now, and no matter how long I live, I'll never get the chance to see each and every film that was ever produced. Here is a list of the top 15 best movies that regard being a teenager.



15. Ferris Bueller's Day Off.


Ferris Bueller's Day Off brings back fond memories for me, of being wrapped under a nest of blankets, sipping hot cocoa, and watching this movie on our tiny t.v. in the living room. This movie is an amazing movie, and if you haven't seen it yet, I highly encourage you to watch it. It's such a great way to melt away the boredom.

Ferris Bueller is a clever and tricky fast talker, a legend in his own time. He decides to call out sick from school, feigning illness, to embark on a wild adventure involving his girlfriend, Sloane Peterson, his best friend Cameron Frye, and a Ferrari. From Wrigley to Field of the Art Institute of Chicago to a Polish Pride parade, Bueller and friends intend on making the most of their day off. However, Ferris' sister and the school dean, Ed Rooney, suspect that Ferris is simply pretending to be ill. Both Rooney and Ferris' sister Jeanie are hot on Ferris' trail and are determined to catch him and his friends in the act of class-cutting.



14. She's the Man.


When her brother decides to ditch for a couple weeks in London, Viola heads over to his elite boarding school, disguises herself as him, and proceeds to fall for one of her soccer teammates. Little does she realize she's not the only one with romantic troubles, as she, as he, gets in the middle of a series of intermingled love affairs.


Ah, this movie. Remember when Amanda Bynes wasn't crazy? Yeah, I miss it too. This movie is pretty close to Shakespeare's The Twelf Night. This movie was incredibly funny and well done. I adore watching this movie, and I think you will too.








13. Freaky Friday.


Lindsay Lohan… I really miss her acting, back when she wasn't getting DUI's and going crazy with her partying. It makes me sad to watch her old movies, because I grew up watching her in the Parent Trap, and other movies. But, that's beside the point.


An overworked mother and her daughter do not get along. When they switch bodies, each is forced to adapt to the others' life for one freaky Friday.


I actually just watched this movie again for the 500th time last week. I think it was well done, personally, and it's a good movie. It's kind of childish in some ways, but I think all-in-all it's a great family movie, or maybe not, since there is some kissing.. And god knows how awkward that is to watch with parents.



12. Easy A.


A clean-cut high school student relies on the school's rumor mill to advance her social and financial standing.


This movie isn't too kid friendly, so I advise not watching this with kids, at all. I mean, I doesn't really show much, but it is a mature view point, as it's about following in Hester Prynne, from The Scarlet Letter. I do love Emma Stone's acting though, and I think this movie provides some comedy relief.











11. Bring It On.


So one of my guilty pleasures is the Bring It On series. I've seen all five multiple times, and despite how amazing I think they all are, the first one is my favorite, because it's the most original out of all of them, and I love Kirsten Dunst and Eliza Dushku.


A champion high school cheerleading squad discovers its previous captain stole all their best routines from an inner-city school and must scramble to compete at this year's championships.


This movie is a great athletics movie, especially if you're into cheerleading. I personally don't like High School cheerleading, but I do have a lot of respect for competitive cheerleading because I know I sure as heck can't do a backflip… Hell, I can't even do a cart-wheel. That should tell you something. This is a great movie, and it's pretty family-friendly, despite some minor language.



10. Footloose.


I'm sure you've seen Footloose at least once in your life, whether it was the old, classic version, or the newer version. Personally, I prefer the older one, because I feel it was better produced, and the characters were more relatable and held more depth than in the newer version. This movie stars Lori Singer and Kevin Bacon, and was released in 1984.

"A city teenager moves to a small town where rock music and dancing have been banned, and his rebellious spirit shakes up the populace."

This movie was a typical 80's classic, and I have seen this movie more times than I care to admit. I think the soundtrack is amazing, and the story line is pretty decent, even though there are a couple scenes that bore me to death every time I watch them, but that's the case in almost every movie you watch. You're not usually engrossed in a film 100% of the time. This movie is one of the most beloved classics, and I think it will entertain people for generations yet to come.

9. Clueless.


I don't care how much you hate my posts, or if you completely lose any respect for me after seeing my list of movies. I adore clueless. It was released in 1995, and stars Alicia Silverstone, Stacey Dash, and Brittany Murphy. 

"A parody of Jane Austen's novel Emma, about Cher, a popular girl who spends her days playing match maker  helping friends with fashion choices, advising the new girl at school on a makeover, and looking for a boyfriend."


Ok, so it's a stereotypical white girl, and it's a total chick-flick, but I think it's wickedly humorous, and it's just classic. I mean if you don't like it, then "as if!"


8. Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead.

Five kids are left home when their mother leaves town on a three-month vacation to Australia , only to have their geriatric babysitter die of a heart attack, leading to the eldest teen, Sue Ellen, to scam her way into taking a job at a hip Los Angeles fashion company to feed and support her needy siblings.


Come on, who doesn't love a classic Christina Applegate and Keith Coogan film? I love Keith Coogan. See, most girls fangirl over One Direction or Justin Bieber… I prefer Keith Coogan and Kevin Bacon. This movie is so freaking funny, and this is coming from a girl who prefers a horror film over any other film ever. This movie is classic, and I really love Kenny.






7. Juno.

I'm sure you've at least seen previews for this movie, and if not, what rock have you been living under? Juno was released in 2007 and features the incredible acting skills of Ellen Page, Michael Cera, and Jennifer Garner.

"Faced with an unplanned pregnancy, an offbeat young woman makes an unusual decision regarding her unborn child."


So Juno sounds like you're average teenage-pregnancy movie. But this movie is both corny and funny, as we go through the adventures and struggles of being a teenage mother. Juno MacGuff is quirky, entertaining, and pretty sarcastic. I for one, adore her. She's unusual, but I love her sense of humor, and I think you will too.








6. Stick It.


My god, when this movie first premiered, I was instantly hooked. I adore the fact that Haley is a tom boy, and I just love the acting of Missy Peregrym, Jeff Bridges, and Vanessa Lengies.

It's a quirky film, with plenty of dangerous stunts to keep you entertained.

After a run-in with the law, Haley Graham (Missy Peregrym) is forced to return to the world from which she fled some years ago. Enrolled in an elite gymnastics program by the legendary Burt Vickerman (Jeff Bridges), Haley's rebellious attitude gives away to something that just might be called team spirit.






5. The Perks of Being a Wallflower.


An Introvert freshman is taken under the wings of two seniors who welcome him to the real world.


So, at first when I heard that they were making the book into a movie, I was a little hesitant. Usually whenever they've turned a book I've read into a movie, I have not been impressed, with a few exceptions. This is one of those exceptions.


 I love this movie because it's heart-warming, and it follows the book closely, instead of adding in random characters with no meaning, or events that didn't happen. *Cough* Percy Jackson *cough*. If you read the book and fell in love with it, then you won't be disappointed with the movie.






4. The Breakfast Club.


I hope you expected to see this movie on the list. This movie is incredible, and it's a classic that will be adored for generations to come. I remember at first, I couldn't finish the movie, simply because I have a hard time staying focused. But once I finally did finish this movie, it was such an achievement. The Breakfast Club stars Emilio Estevez, Paul Gleason, Anthony Michael Hall, Judd Nelson, Molly Ringwald, and Ally Sheedy.


A diverse group of high schoolers forced to spend detention on a Saturday in the library. Forced to make the best of their circumstances, they learn to understand each other and discover that in spite of their initial differences, they actually share many common feelings and problems.


If you haven't seen this movie yet, you better get offline right now, and go find a copy of it. Who knows, maybe you'll find that 80's movies weren't so bad after all.



3. Grease.


Now, maybe you're not a big musical fan.. It's not everyone's cup of tea. I however, adore them. I mean, I can't count how many times I've seen Phantom of the Opera, Repo! the Genetic Opera, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show. This movie is the original High School Musical. It stars John Travolta, and Olivia Newton-John.


Good girl Sandy and greaser Danny fell in love over the summer. But when they unexpectedly discover they're now in the same high school, will they be able to rekindle their romance?


This movie has a great soundtrack.. Hello, Summer Nights?






2. Ice Princess.



This movie... I just... I don't even have words for it. It's such an emotional tale, and one of the most heartfelt movies I've ever seen. Ice princess was released in 2005, and stars incredible actresses such as


Michelle Trachtenberg, Joan Cusack, Kim Cattrall and Hayden Panettiere.

Casey Carlisle is a straight-A student with a knack for physics. When her teacher presents her with the option of a physics scholarship, she eagerly takes on his assignment. The assignment is to come up with a project that shows physics at a personal level. Casey decides, while watching the Olympics, to do her physics project on ice skating. She indulges in the program and learn that she herself shows promise in ice skating. The only problem? Her mom is absolutely against figure skating, and hopes that Casey will fulfill their dream of attending Harvard school. Will Casey remain the quiet, gawky teenager with the promise of getting into an Ivy League school? Or will she pursue her newfound passion of ice skating?

I love this movie because for one, I love ice skating, and for another, I love the feels trip we take on the adventure throughout this film. It's got a positive message: Dream big, and no one can take away what is yours, as well as fight for what you want, and live for yourself. Casey is a character that is oddly relatable, and this movie will not disappoint.



1. Adventures in Babysitting.


Released June 19, 1987, starring Elisabeth Shue and Keith Coogan, this is an incredibly humorous and entertaining film.


Chris Parker agrees to babysit a young girl and a pubescent boy after her date stands her up. She anticipates a dull evening, but things change when her frantic best friend calls and begs to be rescued from a bus station in downtown Chicago where there are shady characters lurking about. The evening explodes into a rush and whirl of hair-raising adventures. The babysitter and three kids leave the safety of the suburbs and head for the heart of the big city, never imagining just how terrifyingly hilarious their expedition is about to become.


This movie is really heartfelt, and it's a movie you can never really get bored of. I've seen this movie thousands of times, and I fall more in love with it every time I watch it. The characters are lovable, the music is catchy, and the storyline is classical.  I highly encourage you to watch it, and try not to fall in love with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment