09 10

Friday, March 7, 2014

My Tribute Posters

So, for a long time, I hated using photoshop. I'm not really sure why, because our recent unit using Photoshop was actually fun. During our photoshop unit, we learned how to crop out images, resize them, and add shadowing and other effects to the pictures. Here are my three tribute posters.




We'll start with my absolute favorite show ever, American Horror Story. American Horror Story is a show on FX, rated TV-MA, and it's extremely gory. I chose American Horror Story: Asylum, because it's my favorite season so far. This poster was the hardest to create, because it was my first poster, and it was a lot of trial and error. It probably doesn't sound like it's that hard to cut an image out of one picture and paste it into another, but it was. I struggled with cutting the image out perfectly, and sometimes the characters I cut out had really weird lines.

But the process in which I created this poster was fairly simple. All I did was find a background I really liked (the woman on the stairs), and began cropping out pictures and pacing them in the background. That's basically it. The only thing I had to constantly play with was positioning the characters so they all fit and looked good.



It also doesn't help that I re-did this poster three times. I was originally going to do American Horror Story: Murder House because I liked the characters a little more in that one. So then, why did I choose to do Asylum? Because the storyline was better. There was more action, drama, and blood. It was more psychologically damaging than Murder House, and Jessica Lange killed it as Sister Jude. It's funny, because at the very beginning of the series, I hated Sister Jude. I thought she was shallow, cruel, and just plain evil. Imagine my surprise when she became my favorite character.






The next poster I did was a tribute to my favorite book series ever. The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling. I remember when these books were super popular in elementary school, and I refused to read them. As far as I was concerned, Harry Potter was stupid. I didn't watch the movies either.

I remember in second grade I was awarded reading the most books in my class in a year, 296 books. That doesn't sound that impressive, but to a second grader, it's a pretty big deal.

I was awarded Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets as my prize, and I threw it away the moment I got home. So what changed? I remember when I was 13, I got really bored, and decided to give Harry Potter another try.

I was immediately hooked, and I finished the rest of the series in less than a week. That's what started my obsession. I have Harry Potter references tattooed on myself, if that helps prove my point. This poster was easier to create, because I already had a pretty good understanding on how to create the poster, and the images were already cut out, and it made my job a million times easier.


And last, but not least, is my current favorite anime, Death Note. I remember for the longest time, I heard so many good recommendations about the anime, but I wasn't interested. I was more interested in Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Fruits Basket, and InuYasha.

About 5 months ago, I got bored and decided to give Death Note an honest shot. I already had a good general idea what it was about, and it sounded like the most basic concept ever.

Death Note is about a high school student named Light Yagami who stumbles across a strange notebook titled "Death Note". The Death Note has the power to kill anyone in the world within 40 seconds of the name being written down. However, you need to know that person's face, so people with the same name will not be affected. You can also specify the death if it is written within the next 6 minutes of writing the name.


I had a harder time with this poster than the Harry Potter poster, because with anime characters, there are certain lines in their hair, and sometimes their hair is sticking out everywhere, which made cutting the pictures out harder, because I had to focus on a lot of individual strands of hair, and lines.


How did I do? I know they're kind of amateur, but I tried. What are you currently obsessed with? Let me know in the comments below.
Rock on,
-Enlightening Tale Brethren.

No comments:

Post a Comment