09 10

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Junior Year... Yikes!

I always griped and complained about how difficult sophomore year was, but holy crap! Sophomore year was the icing on the cake compared to this year. I have began attending another High School, which is something I've wanted since I left Centennial Middle School in 7th grade. But, I already dislike this school, and it's barely been a full month! This is a ranting blog, and I sincerely hope you guys didn't expect anything less of me.


I am already in that part of the year where I honestly just want to stay home all day, crack out on Dragon Tales and Sesame Street, and eat my weight in Cheese Nips and Hot Cheetos. Like, yes please. So, what is already irking me? Well, I'm glad you asked (even though no one really did.)


I think my biggest confusion with this school is that it says I’m a senior, according to my counselor. But, I’m not a senior. I’m a junior. It sort of bugs me, because they expect me to attend all the senior meetings and stuff, and it’s like, why should I go if this doesn’t even apply to me until next year?


For instance, there was a meeting last week pertaining to ordering caps and gowns. My LEAD time teacher told me I had to go, and I’m just like, why? It’s not like I’m graduating this year. But, the good news is, if I continue to do well with grades this year, I can graduate by next December. I’m pretty stoked about that.


Slow People In the Hallways


Ah yes, people. Homo sapiens are always my least favorite things to deal with, and there is not enough coffee in the world to change that fact. I thought Ridgway was horrible, but now that I no longer attend school there, I honestly miss it so much.


There are too many people here. My favorites? The ones who walk at about a pace of -2 mph. It absolutely fills my life with joy. You know, I don’t already have a very short amount of time to get to class. Please, take all the time you need!


I don’t understand why people think it’s a great idea to swarm the halls, and basically build up a blockade in the center of the hallway. People need to get through, but they can’t; Why? Because some people seem to think that their social time is more important than the four minutes I need to make it from one end of the building to the other. This is not social hour; We are in school, and you can do your useless chatter at a more appropriate time; Maybe lunch?



Being Bumped into


I try to be lenient with this one, since accidents happen. However, when I am at my locker trying to get my books, I think you could extend me the courtesy of watching where you’re going. I have bruises from people ramming into me because they can’t pay attention to where they’re walking, or who they’re bumping into.


It’s disrespectful, it’s rude, and quite frankly, it makes me hate your existence all that much more when you keep bumping into me. If I can make an effort to not touch anyone while I walk down the hall, then so can you.


The Size of This High School


Some people think it’s an absolute riot when I tell them that I think this school is too big; I’m not kidding. I come from a small school where there was quite possibly 300 kids total. Now I go to a school that contains at least 1,200 kids, and it makes things feel a little overwhelming at times. This school is a bit larger than Ridgway was, in almost every aspect.


My biggest problem is that I hardly have enough time to get from one end of the building to the other in time for classes. It means I’ve had to quickly learn to master the art of speed walking, which appears to be a trait that no one else has learned.


Another problem is there are massive amounts of students, but very narrow hallways. This leads to traffic jams, and I get to deal with being shoved into from all sides. Cool. I used to hate this in my previous school, but here it has intensified itself. Yikes.


The Lack of Intelligence


Ok, so I don’t expect people to be the next Einstein. But kids here seriously have no common sense in any aspect! For instance, on my journey to school, I watch kids sit there and smoke, right by the main road. For the sake of everyone, including yourself, don’t smoke right there! If a cop goes by, guess who’s getting busted? I guarantee you that most of these people are not legal age.


Or, let’s talk about my Spanish III class, shall we? I can admit that I probably speak about a preschool level in Spanish. But it’s sad when I know more than almost everyone else in that entire class. They didn’t even know about the boot verb! You are in Spanish III and you don’t even know about the boot verb? What are they teaching people at this school?


Judgmental Teachers


If there is one thing I dislike immensely, it’s being judged. As I’ve said before, people judge others, and that’s just the way it is. I can live with that. But, you don’t need to voice those thoughts out loud, and if there is one type of person who has no right to be judging people, it’s teachers.


I have a couple different teachers who like to think they know me better than they actually do. For example, I have this one teacher, we’ll call him Mr. Sanders; Mr. Sanders was my favorite teacher, and for the first two weeks of school, we got along quite swimmingly.


In this school, we have this thing called LEAD time on Wednesdays and Thursdays, and it’s like your typical advisory time. Well, my LEAD time teacher has no problem with letting us go home, as long as we maintain good grades.


About a week ago I was going to go home, because I had good grades in all my classes, so there was really no point in me staying there. I tell him my grade, which isn’t too important, and I prepared to leave. But, he stops me right as I’m leaving.


“Oh, wait Del! What period do I have you for?”


“1st period.”


“We have a test tomorrow, so you’re welcome to stay here and study.”


“No thank you, I study better at home.”


“Somehow I doubt you study. You don’t look like the type to study at all.”


“Excuse me?”


“You heard me. I’m just saying what’s true.”


Excuse me? You have no right to dictate whether I “look like the type to study.” It shouldn’t matter to you whether I do or do not study, as long as I am not failing your class. That comment was out of line, and you have the audacity to presume you know me? Bad idea bud.


What I do, or do not do is none of your concern, and plus, you’re my teacher. You’re supposed to be there to support and guide me, not to tear down my self-esteem. I honestly don’t understand how it’s any of his business. Like I said before, there is more to me than meets the eye, and I fail to see how my studying habits are any of his concern.


Drama


Ah, drama. God, I love drama, and rumors. I learn so much about myself that I never even knew! If I thought drama in last year was bad, I must’ve been delusional. The drama is even more intensified here, and people are even more attention-seeking than you can even imagine.


I have always tried to avoid people who participate in drama or start it. If it’s not my business, leave me out of it. But, people seem to forget this about me, and they drag me into it all the freaking time. I don’t mind listening to people when they need someone to vent to, at all.


However, I dislike it when people pull me into their drama, or they start bashing on that person in front of me. Especially if I’m friends with the person they’re bashing on. Most of the people here have the sophistication of a three year old. They whine, run through the halls, and yell. It’s the highlight of my life.


People here seem to think it’s an awesome idea to rant to me whenever they feel like it. Normally I don’t mind, but if I have not even had my morning cup of coffee yet, leave me be. There is a time and place to vent, and it is not the minute I enter the school. So for the sake of both of our happiness, leave me alone until I am at least somewhat functioning.


The Grading System


High School is rough, plain and simple; But some of the teachers here grade so unfairly, and I don’t understand it. For instance, in my American History class we had to take a Scranton test. There were 50 questions on it, and I only missed 7. Please explain to me how that automatically gives me a C?


Or, in my Chemistry class. We took another test recently, and I got 45/ 50 on it. But somehow that dropped my grade down to a D. Holy tits, how am I already at a D? I’ve turned in ALL the homework, I’ve done the tests, and I haven’t missed a single day. I fail to see how that impacted my grade so much. It’s crazy.


Another problem I see with my classes, is that most of them aren’t challenging enough for me. Give or take, I do struggle with a two classes, specifically math and chemistry. But the rest of my classes? I’m constantly bored with them because I’ve already A) learned the material, or B) I find the material too easy to understand. I mean, comprehending things is never a bad thing… Still, I would like a challenge.


I already miss my old school, and that’s something I never thought I’d say, because I was constantly talking about how much I despised that school.


However, this school is not all bad. There are a couple decent aspects of going to a larger school. For one thing, I have more friends, even if most of them are seniors and I’ll be very sad when they graduate. Don’t leave me!


Another awesome thing is I now get to sleep in till 6:30 a.m. instead of waking up at 6:00. That additional 30 minutes might not seem like a big deal to you, but to me, even an extra minute of sleep is amazing. School here doesn’t start until 8:25, so I don’t have to worry about being late to school. So, keep reading, because the updates are only going to get better.

Thank you for reading,

-Enlightening Tale Brethren

No comments:

Post a Comment