09 10

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Last Day of Summer, First Day of My New Beginning.

Hey guys! Cliche title aside, it really is my last day of summer. Tomorrow, I finally begin my transition into Colorado Mesa University where I will at last be a part of the "mavily." I can't express how nervous I am about finally beginning the next phase of my life. Today feels... almost nostalgic I guess. I mean, it's my last day of summer as a technical "kid." And true, it's not actually the last day of summer, but I've always considered the day before school starts as such, and probably always will.

I can say that I am excited to see what college can teach me about myself and the major I am working towards. I also look forward to social experiences and being in a place where people are a little more adult. I must admit, however, that I'm not betting too much on the maturity simply for the fact that I know adults who act less mature than me.

My dad keeps telling me that college is going to be a lot more work than high school was, and I sincerely hope that isn't the case. High school wasn't impossible and I even graduated with a 3.8, but that doesn't mean it was cake either. I had to invest a lot of work into my homework and projects, as well as studying. That didn't leave me with a lot of social time.

I don't regret the actions I took to get to where I am now because hey, I earned my grades. I lettered for my second year in academics. I graduated high school. Those were my three goals for my senior year (aside from getting accepted into college). And I can happily say that I completed them and learned that even though I often feel dumb, I actually am a little smart.




Another aspect of college that worries me is, of course, the cost of attending because let's be real here, college isn't cheap. I actually had a nightmare the other night about literally drowning in my debt. But I know that I'm not alone in that concern, and that comforts me a little bit.

The leader at my orientation told us that only about 66% of people graduate college. I know that's a little over half, but I also know that no matter what sacrifices I have to make or how overwhelmed I'll feel at times, I'm going to be included in that statistic. So dear me, somehow, someway, you're going to make it. You survived 8th grade, and you can sure as heck survive college.

I just try to picture walking across a stage for my second time in a row. I imagine the giant grin I'll have on my face when it happens, and I think it'll be bigger than the Christmas I got UGG boots. So maybe no one reads my posts anymore, and that's okay. I haven't exactly posted on here for a while.
I made this post to look back on when I feel like I'm overwhelmed or days when I doubt myself and my capabilities.

So in the wise words of Eleanor Roosevelt, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." College is going to be hard at times (especially math,) but I am going to show my family, my peers, and myself that I do have what it takes to graduate. It's not going to be easy, there will be sacrifices involved, but in the end, the pride I'll feel will make up for it.

And of course, congratulations to all my fellow 2016 grads, and to all of those who are going to begin their college career tomorrow, or whenever you start, I salute you! Somehow we're going to walk across that stage (together in spirit,) and know that we did it.

Until next time, this is your now freshman college girl signing off. Stay strong.
-EnlighteningTaleBrethren.

No comments:

Post a Comment