09 10

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Top 10 Best Songs to Listen to When You're Depressed.

These opinions are my own, so if you don't like it, that's fine. But my taste in music is perfect, and anyone who disagrees is wrong, a filthy peasant, and most likely smells weird. Hopefully these songs help you when you feel like you're losing the battle and feel like you just honestly want to give up. Stay strong, keep fighting, you are worth it.

10. Breath Me- Sia 

I think this song is really powerful, and it has been one of my personal favorite songs to listen to ever since I heard it in the movie Cyberbully. This song makes me cry, because she talks about not leaving her alone to deal with everything, and I think that's something that we can all relate to.


9. The Last Night- Skillet
I think this song really relates to anyone who has ever had been told they were never good enough, have ever contemplated suicide, or just become weary and tired of fighting to live, because the opening lyrics are "You come to me with scars on your wrists, you said that this will be the last night feeling like this.." It sounds like a morbid or depressing song, and for some people, it may be. Everyone's music taste varies, and no one has the exact same taste in music, but I think this song pertains to people who are going through a rough patch in their life.

8. Numb- Linkin Park
For all the Linkin Park fans, myself included, I personally think that their old music is better and more relatable  but hey, that might just be me. This song has always been a personal favorite, because everyone comes across at least one person in their lives who expects them to change who they are to please others. I also love that he describes the feeling of having no feeling, of just being numb. It's something that a person going through depression can relate to, or at least, I hope so. It's definitely something I can relate to.

7. Hold on Till May- Pierce the Veil
You may, or may not have heard of Pierce the Veil, but they are one of my favorite bands ever. I like their sound, even though Vic sounds like a girl. Gah, sorry, I'm rambling about random things that have nothing to do with the whole topic of this post. Ok, so this song really gets me, especially when he says "Darling, you'll be ok." This song is slightly corny, with the typical lyrics about love, but the song also talks about making her feel beautiful once again, and that things may seem rough and unbearable for the moment, but they will get better.

6.  To Write Love on Her Arms- Hawthorne Heights.


*Warning this song may be triggering!* Next on my list is "To Write Love on Her Arms" which is a cover of "the Way She Feels." This song talks about cutting, plain and simple. This song is very sad, and it may not be the thing to pick you back up, because this song is depressing and a more mellow paced song, but it sort of explains the way a cutter feels, what goes through their mindsets when they decide to cut, or end their life. Don't listen to this song if you are easily triggered, because I don't want to be the reason for more scars on your skin. Listen at your own risk.

5.  The Middle- Jimmy Eat World
Here's one of the most catchy, and upbeat songs I could think of. Give or take, this is the only song I know by Jimmy Eat World, but so be it. This song is a more happy song than some of the others I have picked out, and it's never not a good song. (Whoops, that was a double negative.) My favorite part of this song is "Hey, you know they're all the same. You're doing better on your own, so don't buy in. And live right now, yeah just be yourself. It doesn't matter if it's good enough, for someone else." I think the message is clear, be yourself, and don't bother with what other people think, because you know what? You only have to deal with these annoying people for 4 more years, and then you're free to be who you are, and the sooner you learn to let go of what other people think, the better your life becomes, trust me.

4. Lullaby- Nickelback
This song is just... Oomph!  Look, maybe Nickelback isn't your cup of tea, and you hate them. Personally I don't see how anyone can hate Nickelback  because I think they're one of the most incredible bands ever, but that's my opinion, so yeah. Even if you can't stand the existence of Nickleback, I encourage you to just listen to this song. This song has helped me through so many hard times, and I think it's really a helpful battle song. "Well I know the feeling, of finding yourself out on a ledge, and there ain't no healing, from cutting yourself with the jagged edge." That's the opening line of the song, and it just personally relates to me, so that's why it's so high on the list.

3.  Titanium- David Guetta featuring Sia.
I personally do not understand why it's by David Guetta, because he does not sing once in this entire song. This song is so powerful, and I think it's just one of those songs that makes you feel stronger when you sing it. To me, it's my invincibility song. I love this song personally because it says that you can try your hardest to physically break me, but in the end, I am stronger than you think. "I'm bulletproof, nothing to lose. Fire away, fire away. Ricochet  you take your aim, fire away, fire away. You shoot me down, but I won't fall, I am titanium..." If you haven't heard this song yet, I highly recommend listening to it!


2.  Skyscraper- Demi Lovato

I've been a HUGE lovatic for a long time. Demi Lovato is my role model, and I look up to her and respect her so much. This song was my absolute favorite in 8th grade, and even now, it's one of the few songs that can get me out of almost any slump I am currently in. "You can take everything I have, you can break everything I am... Like i'm made of glass, like I'm made of paper. And go on and try to tear me down, I will be rising from the ground, like a skyscraper..." So it's in close relation with Titanium, but at the same time it's different, obviously. Whether you like Demi or not, this song is really inspirational.




Started from the bottom now we're here.... Ew, just kidding, I am not a Drake fan.

1. Fix You- Coldplay OR Unbreakable- Fireflight

Yes! We have arrived at the top song for depression, or in this case, songs, because I couldn't pick between two songs. The two songs that tied for first place were Fix You by Coldplay, and Unbreakable by Fireflight, two awesome bands that I absolutely adore! Fix you is a slower, less upbeat song, that talks about not feeling like you're worth anything, and that no matter what, you're not alone.

Unbreakable is a very rocky sounding song by a Christian band, fireflight. It talks about how no matter how much people try to beat her down and break her stance, she continues to remain invincible and unafraid.

Depression is a very serious topic, and I sincerely hope that this list helps you when you want to give up, break down, and give up the fight. I'm always here for you, and you're never going to be alone. Until next time,
Enlightening Tale Brethren.

3 comments:

  1. Amazing post. Very encouraging. Love your top song by Fireflight. Downloading now. Would have loved to play it on Rock Band! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are wonderful. I swear to God, I admire you like no other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete