09 10

Friday, December 13, 2013

Overexposed: 2013

Wow, where did the year go? It's already December! This year has gone by faster than Sharkeisha's fist. There have been a LOT of annoying things that have gone on this year. So here is my list for the most overexposed things that have happened this year. 



10. Started from the Bottom- Drake

I will not include the song in this post, because it is not appropriate for school. But at number 10, we have Aubrey "Drake" Graham, a very popular rapper. He uses a lot of vulgar language in the song, and goes on to say that he "started from the bottom, now he's here." Well actually, that's a lie. You see, our precious little rapper ACTUALLY got his start on a Canadian TV show called Degrassi. I am a huge Degrassi fan, and I grew up watching Aubrey Drake Graham play the beloved Jimmy Brooks on Degrassi. There he is, shown when he was younger as Jimmy Brooks. He began rapping on Degrassi, so he was already famous when he started his career. He did not "start from the bottom." He started on a teen drama series. This song honestly got really annoying. Everywhere I turned, it was on the radio, Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter... And I got so sick of it.












9. North West.
North West is the baby of Kim Kardashian and Kanye West. She's cute and everything, even though I find her name really funny. That baby is going to get made fun of for the rest of her life for the sheer fact that her name is a direction. Why is she on this list, you may ask? Because she got SO much attention even before she was born. Everyone was talking about her even while she was in the womb. It got to the point where every time I went to the store, I'd see those crappy looking magazines that look like they were produced in Microsoft paint. Kim Kardashian was everywhere I looked. They pretty much stalked her, and everyone was beyond themselves with excitement for a freaking fetus.





8. Haylor- (Harry Styles and Taylor Swift)



For all the Swifties and Directioners (Taylor Swift Fans and One Direction fans), you'll know what I'm talking about. Harry Styles and Taylor Swift dated for about 3 months, and those three months were the biggest pain in my neck. I used to be a fan of both Taylor Swift, and One Direction, until I discovered Disturbed, and my soul was saved. But that's beside the point.

So Taylor doesn't exactly have the best track record when it comes to dating. They date, break up, and she writes catchy songs about them, embarrassing them in front of the entire world, as seen in the picture.
When Taylor and Harry got together, everyone began freaking out because of it. See, all the Directioners are kind of possessive of the five members of One Direction, and seem to think that they own them. 

When Haylor became an official item, they began shooting out death threats to both Taylor and Harry, which I think was a little overreacting, if you ask me. Once again, as far as my eyes could see, there were references to Haylor; posts about them, stories, rumors... The whole nine yards. I was more than relieved when their relationship FINALLY ended. And yet, even though they ended up in splitsville, I still hear about it all the time. For the love of chocolate, can we please all move on with our lives? It's like Taylor said: "We are never, ever, ever, ever getting back together."


7. Giovanna Plowman.

 At number 7 on the list is Giovanna Plowman. Basically she's this... I'm trying to think about nice things to say, because my mother always said if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. Ah, let's try this again. Giovanna Plowman is a 15 year old girl who became in instant sensation on YouTube for doing a very disturbing thing.

Still don't know who I'm talking about? Giovanna Plowman is the tampon girl. She is best known for eating her own tampon. Yeah, you read that right. She ATE her tampon. And it was on every major news feed. I think it's disgusting. Tampons are meant to be used for that monthly visitor. So we're eating them now? Whoops, looks like I missed that memo. What's next, are we going to start wearing them for earrings?

6. Twerking.


Twerking. If there is one thing I wish I could un-see, it's twerking. The Oxford Dictionary defines twerking as a dance to popular music in a sexually provocative manner involving thrusting hip movements and a low, squatting stance.

But I'd say it didn't really become a big thing until Miley Cyrus started doing it. Then everyone was suddenly twerking. It's kind of like the duck lips fad that was all over Facebook, with girls thinking that they looked really cute with their lips all stuck out like that, and nothing could be farther from the truth. Just please stop twerking. It looks dumb.
5. The Harlem Shake
So this year we got to experience a "wonderful" new dance, the Harlem Shake. The song was actually made in 2012 by Baauer, but it did not really take off until this year. The dance originated in 1981 in the Harlem area, hence the name "Harlem Shake". 

Basically what this dance involves is at least three people, and everyone but one person stands there, oblivious to the only person in the room dancing, until we reach the line "And do the Harlem Shake." Once that line comes on, everyone begins dancing, usually in crazy costumes. 

It was funny at first, until everyone started doing it simply for a mere 15 seconds of fame. I was really glad when this dance died. Hopefully it doesn't rise back up from the grave.


4. Miley Cyrus


Ah, Miley Cyrus. The world grew up watching her on Hannah Montana as the beloved Miley Stewart/Hannah Montana. I get the fact that she wants to show the world that she is no longer a Disney Star, but some of her acts are just disturbing and unnecessary.

Take for example, We Can't Stop. I loved the song, until I saw the music video. I can't show the video, because it's inappropriate for school, but I can give you the basic gist of it. She sticks her tongue out a lot, wears hardly any clothing, and twerks. But that wasn't even the worst we've seen from Miley this year. 

Shortly after the release of We Can't Stop, she releases Wrecking Ball. Once again, I loved the song, but the video.. She once again wears minimal clothing, and dances provocatively. 

And then I think her VMA performance was when I really lost any respect I had for her. She performed "Blurred Lines" with Pharell  Williams. During her performance she was in a nude colored bathing suit, dancing with no self-respect, and mimicking sexual movements with a foam finger. Miley, please, for all of us, pull it together, and stop with the acting ratchet.


3. One Direction- Best Song Ever.
One Direction... What can I say? They've taken the entire globe by storm. I used to be a really big One Direction fan, but eventually I grew out of it. I still occasionally like their songs, give or take. People always tell me that no matter how bad their songs are, I should like them because they're "catchy." Yeah? So was the Black Plague, but that doesn't mean it was good either.

The day the Best Song Ever came out, it was everywhere in a matter of hours, and everyone was loving it. I decided to listen to it, and I got very annoyed. If you listen to the song, just listen to the beat, you'll notice it is almost identical to Baba 'O Reily by the Who. Coincidence? I think not. But I was OK with it, because it's not the first time an artist has copied another artist, and it most certainly won't be the last.

The song all of a sudden hit the airwaves, and the radio stations began playing the song pretty much every other song. I can only take so much of a song before I want to place its existence in the fiery pits of Hell.


2. Psy- Gangnam Style
Ah, Gangnam Style, how I have the strangest relationship with you. The song is extremely catchy, and occasionally I can tolerate it, but for the most part I wish there was an unhear button. My main problem with the song is I have no idea what it's saying except for "Eh, sexy lady..." and "Op, op, op, opa Gangnam Style." For all we know, this song could secretly be about pouring battery acid on orphan's nostrils. It was everywhere, and it made me want to start an elite group on the moon. Who knows, there's still time to go there.


1. Anna Kendrick- The Cup Song.



And at number one, we have the cup song from Pitch Perfect. When I first saw that movie, I was completely in love with it. It was quirky, it was funny, and it had singing. I was rather impressed with how good of a singer and actress Anna Kendrick is, especially the cup song. The cup song was unique and original, or so I thought.

However, after the movie was released everyone at my school decided to start doing the cup song. It got to the point where I couldn't even enjoy going to the bathroom without someone singing the song. I think my main quarrel with the song is that everyone credits Anna Kendrick for coming up with it, but that's a lie, because she didn't. The cup song, also called "When I'm Gone" originated in 1931 by A.P. Carter.  So she didn't come up with the song. 

The rhythm to the cup song was also not her idea. The rhythm for the cup song is a game that has been played for a long time, much longer than Anna Kendrick's existence. It was revived in 2009 by LuLu and the Lampshades, who took When I'm Gone, and added the rhythm of the cups together. Now, I know she's not the only person who has ever taken someone else's idea and copied it, but the thing that annoys me is that they didn't give credit to LuLu and the Lampshades for their idea.

The song just got really old very quickly, and it has reached the point where anytime I hear the song, I want to remove myself from planet Earth. Hey man, the moon is looking pretty nice right now.


What annoyed you this year? If it didn't make the list, comment bellow and tell me what irked you this  year. Well, see you next year!
-Enlightening Tale Brethren.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blog check! I award you Blog of the Year! But maybe I shouldn't because I wouldn't want your blog on your own overexposed list. :) Excellent excellent job and keeps getting better. Looking forward to 2014.

    ReplyDelete